Sunday, August 14, 2011

Chapter 4: Glacier National Park

All of the Nelson family's early slides include a very general handwritten description on the cardboard mount. The first picture in this group has the notation: 1953. Glacier National Park. Paul and Larry.  If properly cropped, it's a great shot for a Christmas photo card, don't you think?   Larry looks as though he's in the process of wetting his diaper.


Without a map, and with no specific information on the slide mounts,I have no idea where this stunning panorama is located.  Best guess:  Lake McDonald.

I really like the fact that Dad includes the two parked cars in the frame of this picture. But that's just me.  By the late 1950s, I was able to name just about every make of car on the road.  By year. I somehow developed a fascination with automotive design, which started to wane after 1960.

Since 1953, I've visited Glacier National Park just twice -- in 1975 and 1983 -- but just to drive through.  I don't recall having a camera with me in August 75, perhaps the lowest point ever in my life.  In 1976, Dad bought a new camera and gave his 23-year-old Kodak Pony.  Once I complete this review of the Nelson family slides, I'll have my own collection to sort through.  And it's likely I'll find more Glacier photos there.

No comments:

Post a Comment