Friday, August 26, 2011

Chapter 12: A Striped Slingback Chair

I remember the chair well, although with two rambunctious boys, I'm sure it had a brief life.  It certainly wasn't an item on the Mayflower moving van that transferred the Nelson's household furnishings from Great Falls, Montana, to Warren, Pennsylvania, in the summer of 1957.

From the photographic evidence, I'd guess the chair was recent purchase in the early summer of 1954.   The fabric colors have a brand-new brightness, just like you'd see in a (Sears?) catalog.  I wouldn't be surprised if the first picture in this series was taken on the day of Barbara's baptism.   All dressed up, she looks to be sleeping peacefully after the all the excitement.

A different view, which appears to have been taken on the same, though the distance and angle make Barb look almost newborn.

Larry and I share the chair, though he doesn't look too happy about the situation, probably because I'm giving him so little room.  Big brothers can be so mean.  I'm wearing my usual jeans, t-shirt (my left knee obscuring what appears to be an interesting design on the front), and suspenders.  Larry now has his own pair, too.  In the background, you see the very patchy, weed-infested lawn along the east side of First English Lutheran Church.  The  climate (average annual precipitation of less than 15 inches, in particularly) isn't conducive to deep-green manicured lawns.

No comments:

Post a Comment