Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Chapter 14: The Wheat Fields of Montana

For as long as I can remember, I've had a keen sense of my geography.  Perhaps it was due to the fact that, once I became aware of my surroundings, I had the almost relentless grid pattern of Great Falls' streets to orient me.  No curves.  No cul-de-sacs.  No disconnectedness.  But 57 years after this series of pictures was taken, I need to consult a topographic map of Montana to get myself reoriented.

Based on the cock-eyed framing, I wonder if Dad allowed me to take this first photo.  Interestingly, the composition is very similar to a series of slides I took in 1974 and 1975, when I lived in Deer Lodge, Montana.  The sky, the mountains, the fields -- like a tri-color flag.  This particular elevation, about 15 miles east of Great Falls, is a small range located north of the Little Belt Mountains and U.S. Highway 87,


Montana is a major growing area for hard red winter wheat, planted in the fall and harvested in the summer (which makes me think that's what we see in the above photo) and hard red spring wheat, planted in mid-spring and harvest in late summer.  (The fourth slide in this series?)

In the second photo, Larry and I seem to be ready to hit the road.   Even in my preschool years, I was a very adventurous sort.  Remind me to tell you about the long hike I led one July summer afternoon in 1955. 

Considering the clothes that Larry and I are wearing, I have a feeling these pictures were taken on the same day of the visit to Giant Springs (chapter 11).   This means the above view shows a 90-degree left-hand curve of 57th Street NE, as you head in the direction of Rainbow Dam, and the view below is the same road as it leads back to Great Falls, in the vicinity of Malmstrom Air Force Base.


A green carpet extends to the edge of the mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment